Skip to main content

Sellers Permit

Obtaining a Seller's Permit

If you fall into the category of businesses that plan to sell goods or products within the State of California, you will need to obtain a California Sales Tax Certificate Number (also called a Seller's Permit). The Seller's Permit will enable you to collect and pay sales tax for the items that you sell, and is required from both wholesalers and retailers. If you only plan to make sales during short periods (less than 90 days in one location), such as a pop-up shop or a seasonal event, you may apply for a temporary seller's permit.

To register for your Seller's Permit, you can use the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration online registration tool or apply in person at one of the field offices

In order to complete your registration, you will need:

  • Your social security number (corporate officers excluded)
  • Your date of birth
  • Your driver license number, state ID number, or other ID (e.g., passport, military ID)
  • Incorporation date, corporate number, and Employer Identification Number (EIN) (corporations and LLCs only)
  • The name and location of a bank where you have an account
  • Names and addresses of suppliers
  • Name of the person maintaining your account
  • Names and addresses of personal references
  • Anticipated average monthly sales and the amount of those sales which are taxable
  • Your email address